Ran a light 9ish this morning, about half on trails – I was planning on doing 13 or so, but I forgot water(!!) and figured I should be taking it easy anyway. One week from today I’ll be hydrating like crazy and probably not getting much sleep…
I’ve spent basically all day either running, being at work, baking/cooking, listening to TalkUltra, or checking up on the UTMB (or a combination of those). Today is a very running-centric day. It’s a hot one, low 90s, so I’m just hanging around the apartment with my cat…
Along with preparing a big ol’ pot of cilantro-lime brown rice for the next few days, I made this pumpkin oat bread. It turned out pretty well – quite oaty since I didn’t grind the oats into flour, just dumped them in, and I should have added some more spices, but still delicious. I had it with strawberry rhubarb jam, then honey, and both were great on the fresh hot slices.
Pumpkin Oat Bread
Adapted from this recipe.
- 3/4 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda (I accidentally dumped a bunch in)
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg (I added more!)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (so much more!)
- 1/2 cup crushed pecans (crushed in our mortal & pestle, I might add)
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup pecan or walnut oil (I used olive oil, about 3T)
- 2 eggs
- oatmeal to top
- I also added a bit of chia, maybe 2T
- Preheat oven to 350˚and generously butter/oil a 8 or 9″ loaf pan.
- In a food processor, pulse oats until almost flour – I still like little pieces of oats left. (*I skipped tihs step and just put in the oats. It’s very oaty.) Pour into a large bowl and add wheat flour,spices, baking soda, and nuts.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together pumpkin puree, maple syrup, oil, and two eggs. I like to extra nuttiness the nut oil adds but you can also use melted butter or coconut oil. Pour into dry ingredients. Stir until just combined (don’t over stir!)
- Pour into prepared pan and sprinkle with oats and nuts. Bake for 50-60 minutes. Top should spring back lightly and when a knife is entered, it should come out clean. Let cool and slice!
peace love and running!